Jose Antonio Ocampo og K.S. Jomo
Zen Books 2008, 352 s. ISBN 9781842778821
Bogomtale fra forlaget.
While the international community has made a commitment to achieving full employment and decent work for all, this goal seems ever more distant in view of recent trends such as the growing unemployment and underemployment, the phenomenon of 'jobless growth', the growing 'casualization' of employment relations, the promotion of labour flexibility at the expense of welfare security, de-industrialization and the continued decline of peasant agriculture.
Revisiting some familiar terrain with new lenses, this book also breaks new ground in seeking fresh solutions. Employment creation is the key link in ensuring that economic growth contributes to poverty reduction, with management of technological change crucial. While the recent trend towards greater labour flexibility seems irresistible, recent experience suggests some options for also ensuring decent work and economic security. Although recent financial liberalization has exacerbated employment problems, alternative macroeconomic policy priorities can make a difference. New approaches to social security, the informal economy, the welfare state and rural employment in Africa are explored.
1. Technology and Employment in an Open Underdeveloped Economy - Prabhat Patnaik
2. Growth, Employment and Poverty: An Analysis of the Vital Nexus Based on Some Recent UNDP
and ILO/SIDA Studies - Azizur Rahman Khan
3. Labour Market Flexibility and Decent Work - Gerry Rodgers
4. Employment and Decent Work in the Era of Flexicurity - Robert Boyer
5. Central Banks As Agents of Employment Creation - Gerald Epstein
6. Financial Openness and Employment: The Need for Coherent International and National Policies
- Rolph van der Hoeven and Malte Lübker
7. Rethinking the Informal Economy: Linkages with the Formal Economy and the Formal Regulatory Environment - Martha Alter Chen
8. Modernizing the Informal Economy - Víctor Tokman
9. Changing the paradigm in social security: From fiscal burden to investing in people - Michael Cichon, Krzysztof Hagemejer and John Woodall
10. Transforming the Developmental Welfare States in East Asia - Huck-Ju Kwon
11. Generating Rural Employment in Africa to Fight Poverty - Janvier Désiré Nkurunziza
12. On the Need for Providing Employment Guarantee - Prabhat Patnaik
13. Macroeconomic policy and employment generation - Michael Piore
14. Generating Employment - Anis Ahmad Dani
15. Macroeconomic Policy and Employment Generation: Gender Dimensions - Diane Elson
16. Protecting Workers, Creating Jobs: Rethinking Social Protection in Developing Countries - Carmen Pages
About the Author
Jomo K. S. is Assistant Secretary General for Economic Development based in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) of the United Nations Secretariat.
José Antonio Ocampo is Under-Secretary General for the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) in the United Nations Secretariat.